Re: Vax RDB 6.1 and Oracle 7.3 on same system - Possible?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/28

In article <886021984.47120394_at_dejanews.com>, <ketanindia_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hi Chuck, Yes you can run Rdb and Oracle together. But I did try this
>with Rdb 7, Oracle 7.1 and OpenVMS 6.2. I did not do any extra setup
>other than installing Oracle. There were no problems apart from one which
>is to apply a patch on OpenVMS 6.2 for starlet.olb. I think the patch
>number is ALPACRT_62 but u may want to check with Oracle support for that
>as I am not 100% sure. Hope ur migration goes on smooth.

I don't believe you can run 7.3 on less than VMS 7, unless things have changed radically in the last few months. I knew a number of installations were upset about this (especially having to do multiple radical concurrent upgrades), so things may have changed... but...

See:

http://www.oracle.com/platforms/dec/html/mat_vax.html

With the Compaq thing and all, I would expect anyone not on the latest of everything to be TSOL.

>Ketan Shah
>Sr. COnsultant.
>Mellon Bond Associates.
>
>In article <6aj0qk$1f8$1_at_ionews.ionet.net>,
> cmcgav_at_ionet.net (Chuck McGavern) wrote:
>>
>> We are currently running RDB 6.1-02 and are wanting to migrate to Oracle..
>>
>> Is it possible to run both databases at the same time on a VMS 6.1 box?
>> If so, can you explain briefly the procedure to do so and any problems that
>> you encountered...
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> Chuck McGavern
>> World Publishing Company

These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry
"See your DBA?"  I AM the @#%*& DBA!