Re: Oracle Licensing Question.

From: sysadmin <sysadmin_at_vdoj.vic.gov.au>
Date: 1998/01/28

RED DAYZ wrote:

> You have to get a liscence for the maxium concurrent unique users at one time
> on the Oracle Server. I believe the minuim users is 8. So you have to pay for
> at leaste 8 users. I'm not too sure on the minuim concurrent users, you might
> just call Oracle.
>
> Satar Naghshineh
> Oracle DBA / Unix System Admin
>
> >We want to buy Oracle 8.0. I am having trouble with calculating the user
> >Licensees we need. Here is the problem. We have 5 Web Servers which will
> >access the Oracle 8.0 on a separate machine. There will be 5 unique Users
> >(One for each web server ), but each user may have more then one
> >concurrent access to the database (May be 100 or more ).
> >
> >Can this done on a 5 - User license Oracle, or do I have to buy a
> >unlimited user license.
> >
> >Thanks in advance for this help.
> >
> >Jay

I had this same question just 2 days ago and spoke to Oracle. They are licencing the Web databases slightly differently to others.

We have an application that is using a Web front end to connect to the database, and that is the only 'user' that will ever connect to the database. I therefore expected to pay for the minimum (8 user per CPU) licence. However, Oracle said that this is not the case; they say that if 100 users are using the application, then those 100 are getting value from the Oracle database, regardless of the fact that only 1 (the application) is ever going to connect. This type of database is charged at a minimum of 32 users per CPU. I countered by saying that the application is only going to be used by people we know about, not the general public, and there are about 50 of those. Therefore we will pay for a 50 user 'named' licence (per CPU).

Speak to your Oracle licence or account manager. Received on Wed Jan 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CST