Re: Redo Log size

From: <ajitsingh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/01/28

Hi,

I have worked on unix systems with large databases. I am putting down some points which might be useful to you.

The redo size that you should use depends on the application - how much redo logs are generated by it. Avoid having too many log files generated - your database will have frequent checkpoints. Managing a large no. of files is difficult.

I have used log file sizes ranging from 150 MB to 500 MB depending on the amount of redo generated. Some of the databases I have worked on have generated as much as 5-6 GB of redo per day. So it depends on your application.

If you feel that checkpointing is severly affecting performance of the database, you may want to checkpoint at low load times and you may want to adjust the size to suit this requirement.

In my opinion start with some redo log size. Observe for a week or so and calculate avg. no. of log switches per day from the alert<sid>.log file. Change your redo log size based on this information. You will also have to periodically review your sizes depending on increased/decreased redo generation on the database.

I hope this helps,
Ajit