Re: System Tablespace

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1998/01/27

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 16:00:28 GMT, "S Metro" <smetro_at_nospam.world.std.com> wrote:

>An application was just installed on our database that requires all users to
>have the SYSTEM tablespace as their default and temporary tablespaces.
>Apparently, their application cannot point users to other tablespaces.
>
>I've heard this might be bad, but wanted to know why.
>
>Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott
>
>(take out nospam if replying via email)

I'd look for a different application. Putting anything in the SYSTEM tablespace is a bad idea. You'll end up with i/o contention and tablespace fragmentation. Not to mention the whole database could come to a halt if the tablespace fills up and a system segment fails to extend.

Here's my suggestion. Create separate tablespaces called USER_DATA, USER_INDEXES, and TEMPORARY_DATA. Make the default tablespace for each user USER_DATA and the temporary tablespace for each TEMPORARY_DATA. Any indexes that the application creates, move into the USER_INDEXES tablespace. This isn't a perfectly tuned setup, but it's much better than putting everything in SYSTEM.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!