Re: WebServer keeps asking for a password

From: Tim McConechy <tmcconec_at_gulf.uvic.ca>
Date: 1998/01/26

gjlinker_at_geocities.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed the Oracle WebServer version 3 on an NT workstation.
> Whenever I contact the webserver through the port set up (i.e.:
> http:/mymachine:8888) The webserver asks a Admin username and password.
> Is this supposed to happen ?

Yes! By the default installs you create an admin page to manage your server.On this page go to web_application_server>web_listeners

Make sure you have a listener called www or something running on port 80.

(If not create one!)

Look at the listener for admin>under security This is what installer set up for you.

Once you are in there it should be pretty clear what to do..

Hints:
For me. Since I did not have mymachine registered with INternic I had to specify the IP address as the host name. If your host name eg. www.mymachine.com has an ip addressed mapped to it just ignore this.

When this is done specify http://mymachine.ip instead (without the 8888) this goes to port 80 which you don't need to specify since this is the default port when you use http: in a browser. (http://mymachine.ip:80)

I am assuming you really don't want everyone administrating your server for you.
If you do..let me know but consider that they will be able to. Change virtual directories to access part of your file system. Change password for secured areas. Basically its not a good idea to do this. Received on Mon Jan 26 1998 - 00:00:00 CST