Re: Expanding table space systWG73.dbf?

From: <ajitsingh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/01/25

Hi,

Just check whether the system tablespace is the default tablespace for general user (not SYS, SYSTEM etc) objects. If this is so and create a separate tablespace (CREATE TABLESPACE <TABLESPACE NAME> ....) for non-system users & objects and make this tablespace the default tablespace (ALTER USER <USERNAME> DEFAULT TABLESPACE ...) for the non-system users. Also give space quota on this tablespace to users.

It is likely that the SYSTEM tablespace is the TEMPORARY TABLESPACE for the users. So some of the reports might be creating TEMPORARY segments in SYSTEM tablespace and falling short of space. Change the TEMPORARY TABLESPACE of users to TEMP (ALTER USER <USERNAME> TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP). In my opinion this should take care of your problem. However, if you need to add a datafile you can add it using ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE ... command. You can run sqlplus and see help on ALTER TABLESPACE command. This should also give you information on how to extend the tablespace dynamically. Otherwise you can refer SQL language reference manual.

I hope this helps.
Ajit