Re: Expanding table space systWG73.dbf?

From: RED DAYZ <reddayz_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/01/25

What I do when a user complains about "not being able to do something useing Oracle", I check the Alert log to see if Oracle is complaining about the user. I personally don't think it is a SYSTEM Tablespace problem, unless his default TEMP tablespace is the SYSTEM Tablespace. It might be his access rights to Information on Oracle.
Anyways, back to your question...I had a couple of tablespaces that are 90% percent full and on autoextend. Oracle will not allocate more space to the tablespace unless it is required. However, let's say that you have 500 Megs left on a disk and you told Oracle to extend an additional 700 Megs when it needs to, Oracle will complain that it was unable to allocate 700 Megs on an extend. Your best bet is to look at your Alert file and see what Oracle is saying to you. To see where your alert file is or any other file that Oracle writes to, do the following:
1) connect to SvrMgrl as sys or Internal 2) type: show parameter dumps
(I don't remember if "dump" is plural or not)  Hope this helps. E-mail me if it doesn't.

Satar Naghshineh
Oracle DBA / Unix System Admin