Re: Multiple versions of Oracle on same server

From: Andrew C. Holmes <andy_at_aholmes.u-net.com>
Date: 1998/01/22

Greg Wathke <Greg.Wathke_at_poptal.com> wrote in article <34c76fd5.0_at_news1.ibm.net>...
> We are running ORACLE 7.2.2.3 on AIX 4.1.5.
> I need to install ORACLE 7.3.2.3 on the same machine and have one ORACLE
> instance running on each version of ORACLE.
> Has anyone done anything like this?? Are there any potential problems??
>
> Thanks for any input.

Just started playing with Oracle (new job) but what I did today was install Oracle 7.3.x.x and patch it to the latest, also Oracle 8.0.3 and then patch that.
I then created an instance ORA7 on oracle7, and ORA8 on oracle8. NO PROBLEMS I can access both instances from a SQLnet version 8.?.?.

therefore, the answer is yes.
Oh buy the way give the system account unique passwords for each instance. Should solve one or two potential hazards....

Andy Holmes
Liverpool, UK Received on Thu Jan 22 1998 - 00:00:00 CST