Re: What is better asychronous IO or multiple db_writers?

From: Neil Chandler <oracle_at_tchp2.tcamuk.stratus.com>
Date: 1998/01/21

In article <34c3d97c.74764416_at_newsserver.trl.oz.au>, Steve Adams wrote:

Whilst I appreciate that RAW devices do provide a higher bandwidth, it does not necessarily follow that they actually improve performance and scalability.

Filesystems provide buffering which can negate the need to perform actual IO. I seem to recall performing some benchmarks on AIX 3.2.5 many moons ago with a DB of 5Gb and finding little to choose between RAW and AIX filesystems. I am sure that this is not the case for every UNIX flavour, HP-UX being a prime candidate for as (certainly prior to HPUX 11) their filesystems are not as well implemented as some other O/S's.

Personally I do not use RAW filesystems (except for REDO) if I can help it. You lose Oracle functionality (AUTOEXTEND) and RAW filesystems are generally more messy to manage.

regs

Neil Chandler

p.s. I hope you are right about Filesystem A/IO in HP-UX 11.