Re: How to find out how how big a database is?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/01/20

Metrix wrote in message
<01bd250e$22f20c60$1a0110ac_at_metrix4047.metrix-inc.com>...
>In Oracle 7.2 how do I find out how big a database is, i.e. how much disk
>space it's used?

The total size of all datafiles:
SELECT
  SUM(bytes/1024/1024/1024) "GByte"
FROM v$datafile

The logfiles are stored in v$logfile, but there is no size column, so I guess you'll have to go and check the size manually.

You also need to add the size(s) of the control file(s).

The config files (initSID.ora, tnsnames.ora, listener.ora etc) are usually just a couple of KB. The alert log and trace files can become quite large if you do not keep them in check. But these are created/appended when the db runs, so consider them dynamic.

Did I miss anything?

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Jan 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CST