Re: BLOBs in 7.3; Good or bad idea?

From: ANDREW E KOSLOV <akoslov_at_clark.net>
Date: 1998/01/20

Dana, I'm not sure I fully understand the idea, but here's my 5 cents worth: prior to 8.0, the largest size of a BLOB is 32K; if your reports are MB's in size, you will have trouble fitting them in. On the other hand, if they are available in ASCII, you may want to look at Oracle's Context option, which attempts to manage text as data (it sort of works, if you're interested, send me an e-mail, I'd rather not use the open forum for my impressions).

Another observation is that BLOBs incur a very high CPU overhead during the actual import process; if this happens with any frequency during normal hours of working againts the DBMS, you'll most likely have to double your server capacity.

Regards,
-Andrew