Re: What's the meaning of OPEN_CURSOR?

From: <ajitsingh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/01/20

In article <34C5668F.436E_at_comp.polyu.edu.hk>,   Jimmy <c6635500_at_comp.polyu.edu.hk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I developed Form4.5 and find that the max. of open_cursor is reached.
> So I increased the value in the init.ora and works fine. But why my
> application is reaching the limit of open_cursor? What's is the meaning
> of open_cursor and why it works fine when I changed open_cursor to
> larger value? And also what is the unit of open_curosr? Is this mean
> memory? When I set to larger value, will the performance of Oracle (or
> UNIX) be affected?
>
> Thanks,
> Jimmy

Hi,

open_cursors parameter in init.ora is the max. no. of cursors that can be opened at any point of time. Larger value means that more cursors can be opened and more system memory will be used up. The application needs to close the cursors which are not in use.

I hope this helps.

Bye
Ajit Singh
Sr. System & DBA