Re: Star query/dimensional modelling help ?

From: Clark Morrow <zzz.cemorrow_at_kodak.com>
Date: 1998/01/20

Check out Ralph Kimball's *Data Warehouse Toolkit* book. If you change your dimensional structure to his format you'll get far better performance.

If you take Kimball's format and add a dimension table for each level, you will have the fastest possible star schema.

Using this set-up, I experienced the fastest queries in Oracle 7.3 by turning off the indexes. (I'm hesitant to post this since people with traditional schemas will think I'm nuts. Presumably this is due to a large SGA and hash joins, although I haven't confirmed.)

If you are doing a star schema to support Oracle Express, then a combination of bitmapped, b-tree and no indexes is needed. The RAM manual is good to follow. (Note that if you turn off indexes in a schema that Express supports, your queries will be running for a long long time.)

I would forget trying to get Oracle 7.3 to do a star join. The star join algorithm in Oracle 8 is new. Perhaps it will yeild better performance.

-Clark