Re: How to backup database to Tape on NT platform. Desperate!!!

From: Richard Hoffbeck <rwh_at_visi.com>
Date: 1998/01/20

[This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.server and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <69oord$5l2$1_at_darla.visi.com>, dtang_at_minn.net says...
> Hi:
>
> I have a huge issue about my company oracle database which is running
> on NT platform on Compaq dual processor server. The database server
> version is Oracle 8, and the size is about 50 gigabytes.
> It has been running for half year. We don't have any online backup
> plan yet. It sound very scary.
> Since we don't have spare disk space for online backup, we don't
> know how to do on-line backup direct to tape on NT. Unlike on UNIX, I
> can't use tar on NT.

If I remember correctly the GNU version of tar will work as will the MKS version of tar as long as you are using a SCSI tape drive. I think that both will backup files that NT thinks are open. You could also change the registry value to get NTBACKUP to backup open files.

> Does any of you know how do on_line backup direct to tape on NT, ether
> useful commands scripts or software can do that job.

If you can't get the budget to do backups to disk, I'd drop the $300 or so for MKS toolkit and modify my UNIX scripts. In any event, I'd insist on shutting the database down at sometime 'real soon' to get a good backup or at least start doing exports on a regular basis.

--rick Received on Tue Jan 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CST