Re: INIT.ORA Parameters

From: Pei L. Ku <pku_at_gte.net>
Date: 1998/01/19

  1. you can turn sql trace on at the session level, but only from the session itself. The SQL to issue is 'alter session set sql_trace=true'. To end sql trace from a session, 'alter session set sql_trace=true'. If you can't get to the app code (say you bought a package) and the app does not provide a backdoor for you to issue SQLs, then you are stuck with global sql_trace in init.ora. I'm still waiting for Oracle to implement a machenism that the DBA can use to turn sql trace on for a specific user session...
  2. timed_statistics are not just used by sql_trace. B/Estat also uses stats collected by timed_statistics. As a general rule, I've always turned timed_statistics on for the production DBs I monitor. I have not found time_statistics incurs noticeable overhead on the DBs I have worked on.

Pei
DBA azaman <azaman_at_ibm.net> wrote in article <34BF8C9D.6242_at_ibm.net>...