call a function that modifies DB ?

From: Bill Dietrich <bill_dietrich_at_wayfarer.com>
Date: 1998/01/19

Using Oracle 7, in SQL*Plus, I need to call a function and get its result. I'm trying the following, and getting an error:

SQL> select apps_appdemo.icx_call.encrypt('WF') from dual for update; select apps_appdemo.icx_call.encrypt('WF') from dual for update

       *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-06571: Function ENCRYPT does not guarantee not to update database

What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it ? I've tried using update instead of select, tried select without "for update", etc. I can't modify the function; it is an Oracle Applications function.

Thanks,

Bill Dietrich
bill_dietrich_at_wayfarer.com Received on Mon Jan 19 1998 - 00:00:00 CST