Re: slow logon

From: <timo.haatainen_at_tietogroup.com>
Date: 1998/01/19

In article
<xedra6awwt7.fsf_at_endeavour.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-shoot-me>,   Vladimir Stavitsky <stavit_at_ms.com> wrote:

> Hi, everybody;
>
> on many 7.3.2 installations on Solaris 2.5 we observe
> the same behaviour: initially logon (connection) is
> very fast, almost instant with both SQL*Plus and OCI.
> After some time though it becomes really slow - takes
> up to a few seconds. Is there any explanation -- and
> fix for this?
>
> Thanks a lot

Maybe you have Oracle's default tracing utility in effect. Try out the following:

0. login your database server
1. set EPC_DISABLED=TRUE into your environment
2. invoke SQL*Plus not using SQL*Net, e.g. sqlplus user/pass

If login was faster then you may do the following configuration (the workaround is provided by Oracle Support in Finland):

    Workaround on Unix:

  1. Shut down all 7.3 databases.
  2. Reinitialise the Oracle Trace output files:
                cd $ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin
                rm -f process.dat regid.dat
                otrccref

      3. Set the environment variable EPC_DISABLED to TRUE for all users.
         If you have a common environment script where ORACLE_HOME is set
         this is probably the best place to set this.
         Eg: In a Bourne script:
                EPC_DISABLED=TRUE; export EPC_DISABLED

             In the C-Shell:
                setenv EPC_DISABLED TRUE

  4. Make sure any SQL*Net connections have EPC_DISABLED in the environment. To ensure this you can modify the 'SID_LIST_listener' clause in the 'listener.ora' file and add:

                (ENVS='EPC_DISABLED=TRUE')

         to the SID_DESC for each 7.3 database. Add the entry AFTER the
         (ORACLE_HOME=...) clause.

         Eg:
            SID_LIST_LISTENER=
             (SID_LIST=
              (SID_DESC=
                (SID_NAME=DB1)
                (ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/OFA_base/app/oracle/product/7.3.2)
                (ENVS='EPC_DISABLED=TRUE')
              )
              (SID_DESC=
                (SID_NAME=DB2)
                (ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/OFA_base/app/oracle/product/7.3.2)
                (ENVS='EPC_DISABLED=TRUE')
              )
            )

        5. Restart and databases and SQL*Net listeners.

> --
> --
> Vlad Stavitsky
> 762.2244