Re: DROP TABLE always takes long time.

From: Eric McCormick <eric_at_hyperreal.org>
Date: 1998/01/18

I had a problem like this with IOT's in Oracle8 (Index-Organized tables). The problem turned out to be too many allocated segments in my DB. Actually it was the freed segments that were the problem. To do certain tablespace functions it had to iterate through 30,000 x 30,000 x 30,000 freespace entries in dba_segments (I think that's it). Because the PCTINCREASE parameter was 0, Oracle never coalesced this space together. I just did an ALTER TABLESPACE x COALECE; and all was fine. I also dropped the problem tables and reloaded them.