Re: "_disable_logging" parameter

From: Wim Coekaerts <wcoekaer_at_pacbell.net>
Date: 1998/01/18

Rniemic wrote:

> I have tested _disable_logging on our crash and burn box ... and it crashed
> and burned (corruption). I would stay away from this one until Oracle8.
>
> However, many of the undocumented init.ora's mentioned in the previous email by
> Michael are useful (see one below)...
>
> If you do get a corrupted log with no way to recover:
> _allow_resetlogs_corruption = true
> ... this one is very helpful.

Actually, the allow resetlogs corruption and offline rollback segments and all that parameters might make you bring up the database, but in many cases you end up with a total inconsistent system, also, once you do this, you do not have any chance to go back and try stuff. so if you have a support contract, play with these parameters first, then call, they will not be able to help you out, and this is not their fault then!!! so be REALLY REALLY careful using all those _ parameters. and always call support and ask what would be the best way to go about. it really isnt always necessary to use them...

also, disable logging, yes in oracle 8 you can use the nologging option for your data which will help... at least you dont corrupt the whole database if some thing goes wrong that way so you are right... o8 allows for more unrecoverable options with respect to data.

cheers
wim Received on Sun Jan 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CST