Re: SQL select and Oracle software

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_acay.com.au>
Date: 1998/01/18

Dave Angalich wrote:

> We have recently combined 10+ different client databases into 1 large
> database. This along with CSR entry has led to duplicate/erroneous
> records. What I need to do is find a good way/tool to list and remove
> the possible duplicates and update the necessary key/foreign key
> ingo.(ex. List all people with the same last and first names and city
> and pick which ones are dups. The picking can be manual.)
>
> Does anybody know of such a tool?? If not can you think of an efficient
> way in SQL to list these dups?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dave Angalich

Try creating the primary key with the EXCEPTIONS INTO option and use the rowids stored in this table to fish out the duplicates. Look in the SQL manual on how to do this and create the EXCEPTIONS table and its format. You can create the primary key disabled and then enable it into EXCEPTIONS. Works fine, done it a few times. Faster than using HAVING COUNT > 1.

HTH Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_acay.com.au Received on Sun Jan 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CST