Re: How to backup database to Tape on NT platform. Desperate!!!

From: Sameer Mahajan <sameerm_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/01/17

Hi Dong,

I am not an NT expert. My suggestion ot u would be:

0) If ur the DBA responsible start searching for a new job.

Command and Scripts :

  1. If not hot or cold backup. To begin with start taking Exports. Since its 50GB, u might like to do incremental after full export. U can export on the tape directly. I know under unix just by specifying the device and block size u can export directly to tape. Call u Oracle Support to confirm for NT. There would definately be some thing similar.
  2. Immediatly go and purchase Oracle Backup and Recovery Handbook from Rama Veilpuri Oracle Press. I am not sure 8 edition is out yet or not. If not get the older one. The book has a detailed backup and recovery issues which should help u to formulate a strategy.
  3. Shutdown ur machine on a week end and take a cold backup. If ur database in not in Archive log mode. Switch on the Archiving. U might need some disk space to store the archive logs. The copying of the logs to the tape I am sure can be scheduled throught NT.
  4. Since ur dba base is 50 GB u might think of taking hot backups. Details are in the book.
  5. If ur running a production system, I don't think ur company or u should have any justification problem for a couple of disks. If data is critical what are they saving by putting there business at risk ?

Features :

6) There are quite a feature in 8 in terms of backup.I have Oracle 8 Backup, Restore and Recovery by Gregory Pongracz, Oracle Corp. Another one is Overview of New Backup and Recovery Capabilites for Oracle 8 by Sandar Cheevers, Oracle Corp. These are from the recent Open World, 97.

Tool :

7) U have Oracle 8 Recovery Manager utility which can automate some of the stuff. I am not sure with what it bundelled. Call up Oracle Sales rep. He would tell u.

HTH Sameer Mahajan
sameermj_at_usa.net

dtang_at_minn.net wrote in article <69oord$5l2$1_at_darla.visi.com>...