Re: Multi block rows eating space

From: Neil Chandler <oracle_at_tchp2.tcamuk.stratus.com>
Date: 1998/01/16

In article <19980115175100.MAA21321_at_ladder02.news.aol.com>, SloanAndy wrote:

With rows which are, on average, about 6K, I would create my database with a DB_BLOCK_SIZE of 8192. I would then size PCTFREE to ensure 1 row per block (around 20%). The rows could then update-in-place.

Unfortunately, you cannot change the database block size once it is created, so you would have to export, destroy, recreate and reimport the database to increase the block size.

Incidentally, if you are using UNIX and a volume manager it is most likely that your data is handled in 8K chunks.

Warning: Quadrupling your block size will also quadruple the amount of memory taken by your DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS. You may wish to reduce their number if you incur operating system problems such as paging/swapping.

regards

Neil Chandler