Re: SCO and Oracle on 48 Megs of RAM

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/16

In article <e6UU76sI9GA.107_at_upnetnews04>, Karl E. Jørgensen <kjorg_at_msn*DOT*com> wrote:
>I don't know about the SCO variant of UNIX, but under e.g. HP, the SGA is
>allocated in SHARED memory.
>
>Sometimes on machines that need to have multiple database instances running
>(meaning multiple SGAs), you need to increase a kernel parameter and
>re-build the kernel. In the old days (when I was still fiddling with UNIX
>kernels), you could find the kernel configuration file under the name
>/etc/master (can't remember which platform).
>
>Wherever your kernel configuration file is (it varies by vendor and
>version - check your documentation), you would probably find a parameter
>call SHMEM that you can increase. But don't increase it too much.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>--

It's been a number of years since I've been on sco, but I remember at one point there was a problem with /tmp containing images of the shared memory that would not be cleaned up. So check /tmp for space!

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com