Re: How to search for pattern on LONG columns

From: Donald Bowles <dbowles_at_praca.ksc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1998/01/16

You can search for pattern matching using the package DBMS_SQL. Two procedures in this package are used to parse the LONG column; DEFINE_COLUMN_LONG and COLUMN_VALUE_LONG. The first procedure defines an output variable for your LONG column for your dynamic cursor. The latter procedure (normally used inside a loop) is used to pass "chunks" of data from the output variable to a local variable (typically a VARCHAR2). The local variable can then checked for any string patterns.

See the Oracle Press book PL/SQL Programming by Scott Urman for more details.

Regards,

Don