Re: Unable to Load Data into Database

From: Teresa Larson <tlarson_at_ari.net>
Date: 1998/01/16

TimeVest Inc. (reb_at_shell5.ba.best.com) wrote:
: I'm trying to load data from MS-SQL into an Oracle Database. The data
: has already been put out as an ASCII flat file.

The Oracle news group might be more helpful: comp.databases.oracle

: Two things I am trying to resolve:

:

: 1) The date seems to give me a problem-- could someone send me an
: actual control file with a formatted date in it so I can see the
: syntax in use. Not just date, but a date and a time.

Since MS-SQL Server started out as Sybase SQL Server, my guess is that the date information probably includes miliseconds and the granularity of Oracle's DATE datatype is down to the second.

: 2) In sybase, bcp would allow me to specify a different record
: terminator than just a simple newline. This was useful because I often
: had imbedded carriage returns in several fields. How do I load data
: into my Oracle database when the ascii flat file has imbedded returns
: in several of the columns. [Note: This is a variable length file with
: delimiters].

You really need to snag the Oracle Utilities manual and read up on Oracle control files for SQL*Loader. One approach is have snag the data in an undelimited file and then create a control file that specifies the start/end position of every column. It's painful, but it works. I'm pretty rusty on SQL*Loader, but I did have to wrestle with it a couple of months ago -- just enough to give you this much info. :-)

				Hope this helps
				Teresa Larson

    /  Teresa A. Larson                 http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ /
   /  Bell Atlantic                          Voice: (301) 282-0224  /
  /  13100 Columbia Pike, A-3-3                    tlarson_at_ari.net /
 /  Silver Spring, MD  20904         Teresa.A.Larson_at_bell-atl.com /
                      #include <std_disclaimer>