Re: System Tablespace

From: raman batra <rrbatra_at_feist.com>
Date: 1998/01/16

I was/am in a similar situation. The application required the userid to have
create/drop tablespace privilege. The developers tried on a development box to
install the package as Oracle user SYSTEM. And it worked for them. I had objects
in the SYSTEM tablespace.

The application may be hardcoded to userid SYSTEM or tablespace SYSTEM.

This is because when you create a Oracle instance, the userid SYS and SYSTEM are created.
The only tablespace created is SYSTEM. Hence SYS and SYSTEM have their default and
temporary tablespaces as SYSTEM.

I normally change the default tablespace and temporary tablespace for user SYSTEM
to something other than SYSTEM tablespace. This ensures any object created with the userid
SYSTEM does not default to the SYSTEM tablespace. Act fast, your system could come
to a screeching halt. Besides running out of extents, you may have a lot of fragmentation
in your SYSTEM tablespace, not cool on NT and VMS. Unix handles it a lot better.

Have fun,

Raman Batra, Oracle DBA