Re: Deciphering Oracle REDO Log

From: Mary Travis <Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com>
Date: 1998/01/16

"mike.stevens" <mike.stevens_at_MCI2000.com> wrote:

>I am interested in writing a program that generates the original SQL
>statements from the REDO log. The REDO log appears to be in some sort of
>binary format. Does anyone know if it's just compressed or if there is a
>way to decipher it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>mike.stevens_at_mci2000.com

SQL*Trax is the older name for a product that is now sold by BMC under the name of PATROL DB-Log Master.
It does a pretty good job of generating SQL but it is all in the form of UNDO type statements.

For instance here's an example taken from a 1996 copy of the users guide:

UPDATE account SET balance = balance + 30 WHERE account_no = 2;

is regenerated as:

UNDO UPDATE banker.account (ROWID='00001212.0001.0001')

UNDO      BALANCE =  0
             UPDATE banker.account (ROWID='00001212.0001.0001')
                 BALANCE = 30

So, yes, getting the SQL with this tool is 'sort of' possible but the WHERE clause is squirrely.

Mary
Oracle Certified Database Administrator (as of yesterday) EDS Mary Travis
EDS
email: Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com Received on Fri Jan 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CST