Multi block rows eating space

From: SloanAndy <sloanandy_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/01/15

I've got some tables with nasty multi block rows (each taking three 2k blocks), which are gobbling space at a frightening rate, despite the number of rows being static.

There are only around 3000 rows, however, there is about 250 insert/deletes a day,
and the tables grow by about half of these inserts. The database is 7.1.6 (soon to
be 7.3.3).

Oracle support have been their usual wonderful self and not helped much.

I don't think it's a problem with pctfree and pctused ( 10 and 40).

The developers can't help much and I can't reproduce the problem in a test environment.

I will soon have 100's of these tables, and the headache of garbage collecting them.

Help please, any ideas? The 7.3.3 upgrade may help but I don't want to reply on it without evidence.

cheers Andy Received on Thu Jan 15 1998 - 00:00:00 CST