Shared Memory. What's it all about? - initlive.ora (0/1)

From: <Steve_at_back2front.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/15

Hello,

I would be very grateful if some clever soul could shed some light on how I might resolve a Shared Memory error which just refuses to go away!!

The error is of the form -
ORA-04031: unable to allocate ?? bytes of shared memory ("unknown object", "library cache","kgldahds")
,where ?? is some arbitrary number (seemingly picked at random by oracle :) )

And here's the background -

1. Oracle version 7.2.2.3
2. An HP Server running Unix 10.2
3. Server memory 128M
4. Running on a Novell network.
5. Windows 3.11/95 clients
4. INIT.ORA (Please see attached file)

I'm accessing the server via Oracle Objects from Visual Basic 4. The app is run after hours when there is maybe only two or three connections to oracle.
 A basic SQL statement is built and sent to the Server by the VB app. This is sent many times from within a FOR..NEXT loop with the condition arguments changing each time (so the majority of the SQL statement is unchanging).

And yet every time, I get a small number that always fail - different records, different times. When I manually re-run each failled SQL next morning it is fine.

Finally, something which may or may not be related. When the number of connections reaches 30 or so, people start having problems connecting, timing-out when trying to login via a VB app. We have moved from the SMALL configuration to the LARGE and yet still seem to get the problem.

I am completely stuck. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Regards.
Steve

Steve Roberts

EMAIL : steve_at_back2front.demon.co.uk