Re: Remote accessing a oracle server

From: Mark Millman <mmillman_at_mizar.com>
Date: 1998/01/15

I used this technique to work on a database in Helsinki from my offices in Vancouver using the Internet as the communications channel. It may not be terribly fast but it actually can work reasonably well if you don't fetch megabytes of data too often.

You can use the EasyNet Configuration tool (Oracle Net8 Easy Config under O8) to add a new service name. Choose the TCP/IP protocol and provide the IP address when it asks for the machine name. You will need to know the SID and both installations will have to be configured for TCP/IP. Thereafter it is no different from connecting to two instances of Oracle at the same site. You can connect directly using the service name or you can use any of the Oracle tools for distributed database communication.