Re: System Tablespace

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/15

In article <EMu1v0.EMx_at_world.std.com>,
S Metro <smetro_at_nospam.world.std.com> wrote:
>An application was just installed on our database that requires all users to
>have the SYSTEM tablespace as their default and temporary tablespaces.
>Apparently, their application cannot point users to other tablespaces.
>
>I've heard this might be bad, but wanted to know why.

It inevitably leads to a system management nightmare, where an object uses up it's maximum number of extents, catastrophically stopping the database. With the system tablespace as the temporary tablespace, this can happen with a single join.

There are also performance and backup issues, but those catastrophes tend to get a lot of attention.

Did the application require users to have these defaults because it was installed in system? Maybe you can add users then alter their default tablespaces? Not the best answer, but better than waiting for death.

jg

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com