Re: Oracle database replication

From: sysadmin <sysadmin_at_vdoj.vic.gov.au>
Date: 1998/01/15

Replication will do this, we've just implemented it after several attempts but only replicating a few tables. Replicating an entire database may cause problems. There is another option - a failover database. A failover database is a copy of your production server which receives the archived log files from the production machine and applies them to the backup database. Should the Production database crash, the failover database would be made into the production one and it should be reasonably transparent (I believe). Unfortunately I can't find the document I had on this, so you'll have to hunt for it yourself.

Hope this helps,

Andy Horne