Re: suggestions on striping

From: Tom Cooke <tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/15

One thing I forgot. Striping "along" controllers is OK if you don't have many. Once you have eight or more SCSI channels (i.e. four mirror sets) it's more performant to stripe "across" controllers). See what I mean? I can't put sketches into this thing!

In article <34BB9E8F.D1DBF71B_at_wantnospamsprynetatall.com>, Sheilah Scheurich <scheuric_at_wantnospamsprynetatall.com> writes
>This is reasonable. It will really depend upon what you put into those stripe
>sets
>and how fast your controllers are. One advantage about the newer versions of
>Oracle, if you discover a hot file on a disk that is causing trouble, you can
>always move it! Just remember, even if there are different file systems, they
>will
>still be off of those controllers. Once you have your stripe sets established -
>stripe accross controllers not file systems.
>
>-Sheilah Scheurich
>DBA
>My email is wrong - remove the words "want no spam at all" to send me anything.
>

>David Shi wrote:
>
>> We're currently planning on striping hard disks on a SUN server, I would
>> appreciate if someone can comment on whether there is any performance issues
 in
>> my approach. This is mostly from book "Unix and Oracle Performance Tuning".
>>
>> The server is SUN ultra-6000 with 3GB memory and about 1000GB hard-disk, OS is
>> Solaris 2.5.1, the main resource is giving to another database application.
 For

--
Tom Cooke