Re: how to disable abuse of OPS$-accounts

From: Jim Anderson <janderson_at_ci.lincoln.ne.us>
Date: 1998/01/14

I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but Oracle on Netware solves this problem by using NDS authentication. You can authenticate users via the OS, but they must be logged in to NDS before they can access the database. They can't fake out Oracle by changing their id in the oracle.ini file (Windoze) or the registry (Windoze 95) because REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT is set to false. It's only a problem if one user steals a login/password from another user. It's a really nice feature, but does not do you much good if you are set on Unix/VMS.

Jim Anderson