Re: Prevent multiple login

From: Jan-Peter Meyer <jan-peter.meyer_at_mch.sbs.de>
Date: 1998/01/14

Sandy Thrasher wrote:

> You can do this at the application by recording current users in a table and
> modifying your app to check that table during login - this means an entry is
> made in the CUR_USER table during login and deleted before logoff. At

Why not make v§session visible to all users and check there. That will spare
you the hastle of checking PC#.

> login, If the user is already in the table, then don't allow login. For
> this approach you've got to consider that the user may have aborted his
> session without loggin in gracefully. How you can handle this is to also
> record a PC# in the CUR_USER table and assume that if a USER is trying to
> login at PC#12 and he's logging in from PC#12, then he has logged out
> ungracefully and you should allow him to login.

What if the user aborted on PC#12 and tries to login from PC#7 thereafter ????

> This does not prevent connections by that user from SQL*PLUS or some other
> app.
>
> What we've done is to only allow SELECT by our users in SQL*PLUS so if he
> logs in there, it's of no consequence.
>
> We've also separated our app login id and password from the DB login and
> password. The user only knows his APP ID and password. This way the normal
> user wouldn't know how to login anyway.
>
> Sandy

Jan-Peter Meyer                            jan-peter.meyer_at_mch.sbs.de
Siemens Business Services                  IS E 1