Re: URGENT Recovery Question

From: Andy Chan <andychan_at_usa.net>
Date: 1998/01/14

Andreas,

I might need to say that you got a little mix up about Oracle recovery. You should re-visit the Oracle DBA menu for full detail - or you could worsen your situation unnecessary.

First, to answer yourlast question, Oracle will automatically perform instance recovery using online redologs on every startup-open. So not too much concern here.

However what you're heading on is media recovery which genearly will not include online redologs recovery (because you have to reset redologs on opening a media recovered database). The reason you are asked for a wrong redolog is likely because you are using a wrong CONTROL FILE. You have to use that one that was generated by "alter database backup controlfile ..." (when the DB was still alive) or otherwise you'll never get your database running again without data loss. (Too bad ?!)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy