Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- why bother?

From: Wim Coekaerts <wcoekaer_at_pacbell.net>
Date: 1998/01/14

> Then again, I think Oracle is hesitant to release a Linux version
> because of OS support from the developers. It is my understanding that
> they work with the supported OS vendors to provide a solid product.
> This allows Oracle to make sure of who owns the problems when they
> occur. Oracle probably thinks that would be much harder to do with the
> various flavors of Linux. However, I believe just the opposite. They
> would have more support than they could handle.

Definitely, BUT ! and This is a big catch, its voluntary support, if you write device driver X and dont feel like patching it today and rather do it next week, Oracle cannot come over to you and sue you or what not regarding contract breaches or anything... I think this is a major issue. Hardware/OS vendors have contracts going both ways, if they have a bug in their OS they have to fix it, because of contractual agreements for one.

Wim Received on Wed Jan 14 1998 - 00:00:00 CST