Re: Killing idle user processes ?

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1998/01/13

Mary Travis wrote:

> Sanjay is right. Oracle will not automatically kill a process that has
> exceeded its time limit until after the process issues another request
> for service; at which time Oracle finally checks the time of the
> previous request from that user, does some math and responds with an
> out-of-luck timeout message.
> You could write a script to periodically query v$session for idle
> processes and kill them yourself from the O/S. It's ugly, I know, but
> it also works.
>
> Mary Travis
> DBA
> EDS
>
> "Niels S. Eliasen" <nse_at_lu.se> wrote:
>
> >Hello there

> > Anyone figured out how to kill off idle user-processes ??

> >Running more than 300 userprocesses is ok, but I would like to dump off
> >all those that just get into Oracle in the morning and then just sits
> >there......

> >regards/mvh
> >+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> >Niels S. Eliasen " ... and all these memories
> >mailid: nse_at_ruc.dk are to vanish like tears
> >Tel: +45 46 78 60 50 in the rain!"
> >Mobile: +45 21 24 65 30 final words from Rutger Hauer
> > in "Blade Runner".
> >+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> Mary Travis
> BellSouth Telecommunications
> email: Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com

I have seen/read (but never used) a tool called Idle which checks for idle (unix) processes and chucks them out...

http://www.stokely.com/unix.sysadm.resources/shareware.www.html

HTH
Cheers

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology
Perth, Western Australia
"These views mine not BHP..etc etc"

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad."