Re: ORA-1031

From: Manisha Handa <mhanda_at_ssax.com>
Date: 1998/01/12

Christina Kruhlmann wrote:

> Hi gurus !
> I'm having a bit of a problem after installing Oracle 8.0.3.0.0 on a
> Silicon Graphics Origin 200 machine running IRIX 6.4
I encountered a similar problem on the HP-UX boxes. Most baffling.

Now, the reason we received this error was because we chose to go against the grain and decided to set the oracle group/osoper group to oradba instead of the default - dba, during installation.

The reason this happens is that they have hard-coded the group id to dba in the config.c file, in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib

So, the solution is to edit this file, config.c, change the group to whatever it is you choose, instead of dba.

Then, make the oracle executable again, using the following command: make -f ins_rdbms.mk ioracle.

If you have chosen the oracle group to be dba, and the above does not apply to you, another way to get around your problem is to use the orapwd utility, to set the password. That is what I did before arriving to the final solution.

Hope this helps.
Manisha Handa

> The problem is, that I receive an ORA-1031 "Insufficient privileges" when
> starting up servermanager.
> I've done a software only install, and wan't to get an instance up and
> running so that I can create a new database. When I start svrmgrl I get the
> SVRMGR> prompt ok,
> but when i do a "connect internal" it asks for a password !
> As there is not yet an instance running it seems that it want's the
> internal or sys password.
> I've tried asll the usuals, and checked that orapwd hasn't been used to
> create password files.
> I'm logged in as oracle user and that user has dba as primary group.
> I've checked file permissions, and the lot and everything seems to be in
> order.
> I've also relinked the executables, not to any help.
> PLEASE HELP ME !!
>
> Rgds
>
> Christina
>
> Email : Christina.Kruhlmann_at_btinternet.com

Manisha Handa                   Phone: (312)474-7407
System Software Associates Inc.   Fax: (312)474-7460