Re: Can 7.3 and 8.0 co-exist on NT 4.0?

From: Lawrence Simela <lsimela_at_mahalini.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/10

Yes, Oracle 7.3 and 8.0.3 can co-exist on the same NT box.

1. Install both servers on the same Oracle home i.e. if your oracle home for
7.3 is D:\ORANT be sure to install Oracle8 in the same directory.
2. Ensure that the two databases have differennt SIDs.
If ORACLE_SID (in the registry) is set to the Oracle8 SID then you can connect to the orcle 8 database using Oracle 8 tools (Sql*plus8 ect) without specifying a database connect string. If you use old Oracle7 tools you have to use a sqlnet2 connect string.

Hope this is of help
Lawrence Simela