Re: Information about WebServer 2.1

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/01/10

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 17:15:46 -0500, "Michael D. Barnes" <mbarnes_at_cslinc.com> wrote:

>I am trying to write an application for WebServer 2.1 and am unable to find
>information and tips. Lots of info for Database but nothing for the
>WebServer.
>
>What I am looking for is a solution which will allow me to retrieve blob
>data from oracle 7.3 and display it on a Web browser. Does anyone have
>experience with this?
>
>Mike Barnes

With 7.3, you cannot manipulate blobs (long raws) >32 in pl/sql. This limits what you can do in pl/sql & the web. You can do it in C easily. To see a full example (one that might satisfy all of your needs) goto http://govt.us.oracle.com/ and follow the link to downloadable utilities. You'll be looking for the OWA replacement cartridge. It handles file uploads and downloading of long raws to the browser for you (and does other stuff as well)...

If you want to retrieve blobs that are less then 32k, then the following routine will do it (change to your table of course)

create or replace procedure get_image( theName in varchar2 ) is
begin

You can find the utl_raw package by doing an ls or dir in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory for "*raw*" and installing the spec and body using svrmgrl as "internal" or "sys". The above **only works for images <32k**, anything larger will raise an exception.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Sat Jan 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CST