Re: Visual Basic 5.0 Vs Developer 2000

From: Doug Cha <dcha_at_shell2.ba.best.com>
Date: 1998/01/10

Mark Aengenheyster <aengenhm_at_rspa.dot.gov> wrote:
: Hey, www.microsoft.com has two articles which were 'independently'
: written. Find them in the VB section of microsoft.com somewhere. Sorry I
: don't know exactly where it is. They compare VB, DEV 2000, Delphi and
: Powerbuilder. Both articles are good and have graphs and stuff. I
: underwent similar research toyours a few months ago. We ended up going
: with VB 5.0 since we all new it and found it easier to use (for a
: complicated system). I don't have any information in terms of the
: amount of data you are working with.

: The two articles I mentioned are about the only thing I could find in
: terms of an educated, third-party comparison.

I'm sure each vendor has a white paper or two describing their own advantages. My practical experience is of the following opinions:

-VB is more powerful and gives you higher flexibility for precision  customization of your appliction. It has a more polished development  environment since it is a general purpose programming product.

-Dev/2000 is easier to use will give you a useable product faster  with less debugging time. Reason being that Dev/2000 is tightly  integrated with Oracle. Things such as field validation and checking  of row/data consistency is automatic -- something you'd expect with  a product intended strictly for database application development. Received on Sat Jan 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CST