Trigger(?) question

From: Erik van der Looy <evdlooy_at_iaehv.nl>
Date: 1998/01/09

Hello experts,

I've got a problem with creating a trigger, or maybe it would be better to solve the problem on another way(?). If somebody could give it a go, I would really appreciate the help;

On a certain table there are the next columns:

PRODUCT_ID(PK) STATUS OLD_PRODUCT_ID

----------      --------  --------------
     1          INACTIVE       254
     2          INACTIVE       259
     3          ACTIVE         280     *
     4          INACTIVE       312
     5          INACTIVE       280     *
     6          ACTIVE         129

When a status is set from INACTIVE to ACTIVE, there must be a check (trigger?) to see if the value in OLD_PRODUCT_ID is unique in the column OLD_PRODUCT_ID.
For example the rows indicated with *. So the trigger must go off afther changing the status in row 5 to ACTIVE.

I think this shouldn't be too difficult, but one way or another, I can't get it too work!

Any help is appreciated, preferred by mail. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Erik Received on Fri Jan 09 1998 - 00:00:00 CST