Re: Redo Logs

From: Cheng-Jih Chen <cjc_at_interport.net>
Date: 1998/01/09

In article <717BDE76D864D011870F00A0C9283F1E0F13BB_at_exchange.pinnacle.co.uk>, Vinay Joshi <vjoshi_at_pinnacle.co.uk> wrote:
>I have an oracle db which has 3 redo logs 10MB each. Upon investigation,
>the redo logs are very big in size. Hardly 5% of the redo log size is
>being used. This causes severe problems when automatic archiving is on.
>Every time a log switch occurs, the system hiccups (because it is trying
>to archive the redo log file). Is there a way of decreasing the size of
>the redo logs. (Perhaps by creating new ones with a smaller size and
>deleting the old ones).

You can do this as you suggested: create new groups and drop the old ones. Remember, the system needs at least two redo log groups to run.

Alternatively, you may try turning on the ARCH process. If LGWR is archiving the redo logs, the engine will pause as the archived log is written to disk. To turn on ARCH, in the init.ora file set the following:

  log_archive_start                          =TRUE

And bounce the engine. You'll see another ora_ process called ora_arch_<SID>.

--

The Internet: an empirical test of the idea that a million monkeys banging
on a million keyboards can produce Shakespeare.