Re: Redo Logs

From: Lando <MarkL_at_quebim.com>
Date: 1998/01/09

10mb is not very big. But, if you want to reduce the size of of redo log files you will basically have to drop/create new ones with a smaller size. Remember, two groups of redo logfiles must be online at all times. So basically the steps would be:

  1. drop group 3
  2. create a new group 3
  3. drop group 2
  4. create new group 2
  5. drop group 1
  6. create new group 1

You will also have to force log switches as you go through this process since you can not drop a log file that is currently being used. The command
for this is: alter system switch logfile; To see which logfile is currently active
select * from v$log; When you create your new redo log groups it would be a good idea to also create a member for that group(on a different
drive).

One thing I would try before resizing your redo files (v.7x) is to set initSID.ora
parm checkpoint_process=true and see if you get better performance during
a checkpoint (which occurs at a log file switch).

M.Landa