Re: HELP (please!): dropped tablespace partially killed other tablespace, too!

From: Greg Parsons <parsons_at_intermetrics.com>
Date: 1998/01/08

Hi,

        No need to get onto that chair (or first floor ledge) just now. Yet, you need to answer for yourself some questions.

        A.) Do you have a complete database backup with the old tablespace before you wiped it out. B.) If not, keep that chair handy. You may need to reconstruct the data from scratch. C.) If you do have the backup (and space is not too constrained and the system can be reasonably brought out of service for some time) you could (and this is only a general blue-print):

  1. Backup.
  2. Load previous Backup (with old tablespace).
  3. Export all data within the old tablespace. (You'll need to know the objects stored here - which if you don't have a list can be had through DBA_TABLES, DBA_INDEXES, etc. www.revealnet.com can help here. Note the space considerations within DBA_TABLESPACE.)
  4. Load the Backup in step 1.
  5. Recreate the tablespace.
  6. Import the objects back into place.

        Obviously, you can change it around on this general theme (depending on space, time & tools available), but that's one way.

        To my knowledge there is no way to simply attach (at the hip as it where) a tablespace that is unrelated (once past the next checkpoint) to an Oracle database.

        Hope this is helpful.

Greg