Re: Calling procedures inside packages in Oracle from Delphi

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/01/08

Magnus S. Petersen wrote in message <68um57$2jr$2_at_news1.inet.tele.dk>...
>I have recently started with packages in Personal Oracle7.
>I am working with Delphi 2 C/S and cannot figure out how to
>call the modules inside the packages.
>It seem as if i cannot use the component StoredProcedure directly, as the
>database package.function/procedure does not appear in the list.
>Am i doing something wrong or is it really necessary to use TQUERY
 component
>to call the modules.

I never use any data controls/classes in Delphi but TQUERY - this gives me complete control over the SQL statements. Special db classes (databound controls) like TTABLE and TSTOREDPROC have internal SQL statements for their methods, which may or may not be the best/optimal for a particular database. And you only discover which it is (optimal SQL or not) when the app is in production and you get very irate users because of bad performance. Same applies to VB programs - we only used snapshots and execsql and stayed away for the other db objects.

I suggest using TQUERY only. You can also write a little stored proc wrapper for TQUERY that is Oracle specific/optimised. That's why I love Delphi - if you want to create a new class it's very easy. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Thu Jan 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CST