Re: Killing idle user processes ?

From: Sanjay Mathew <alsm1_at_micro.lucent.com>
Date: 1998/01/08

Glenn Berry wrote:

> Do NOT do this, a session can be 'inactive' in between queries.
>
> Change the default profile to have an idle time limit.
>
> ALTER PROFILE DEFAULT LIMIT IDLE_TIME 30;
>
> This is in minutes and is very useful.
>
> Glenn.
>
> BT and I have a deal:-
> I don't speak for them, they don't speak for me.
>
> Billy Verreynne wrote:
>
> > Niels S. Eliasen wrote in message ...
> > > Anyone figured out how to kill off idle user-processes ??
> >
> > Create a SQL script that selects the sid and seriial# from all inactive
> > sessions from v$session, spools the output to file and then run the
> > spoolfile thru SQL*Plus. Something like this:
> > SELECT 'ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION '''||sid||','||serial#||'''' FROM
> > v$session WHERE status='INACTIVE';

I believe there is problem using profile idle_time. The user will be logged out only when he issued the next sql statement and is not automatically logged out if he sits idle for more than 30 minutes.

To ellaborate

Assume the idle_time is set to 30 minutes. Now if a user is idle for 40 minutes he will not be logged out automatically. Say after one hour he issues an SQL statement its only at this point he will be logged off.

This may not be so useful...

--
Sanjay T. Mathew (alsm1_at_micro.lucent.com)
Oracle DBA

Phone Number  Office 610 712 5967