Performance on HP

From: Derek Hackbardt <hackbard_at_gte.net>
Date: 1998/01/07

I'm in the process of upgrading a number of our database servers to HP-UX 10.20 (with OnlineJFS) using HP's new AutoRAID disk arrays.

Using this technology, our DBA and myself are trying to decide whether we use raw devices or file systems for the data directories. If we go file systems, we'd be using the Veritas File System. With the extent based instead of block based access using this type of file system, we are curious as to what performance increase we will still see with using raw devices.

  1. Has anyone had experience with Oracle7 using the HP autoRAID technology?
  2. What performance increases could we expect from using raw devices over VxFS?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Derek

Derek A. Hackbardt
System Administrator, Cargill Inc. Fertilizer Division hackbardt_at_gte.net, Derek_Hackbardt_at_cargill.com 813-671-6291 Received on Wed Jan 07 1998 - 00:00:00 CST