Re: ORACLE and NETWARE - risky or not risky ?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/01/07

Annie TANGUY wrote in message <34B27232.3868_at_concept.fr>...

>I have been told that that the data security is not guaranteed as far as
>NETWARE isn't a multi tasking operating system.

Netware is multitasking (any server operating system has to be) - I think the question is though how well it multitasks. We all know the problems we had with Win 3.1 (and still have Win95) due to co-operative multitasking instead of pre-emptive multitasking. But since Netware is relatively mature (it has been around for many years now), it should be able to handle Oracle OK within a not too large environment.

Data security has very little to do with multitasking, except for the actual technical implementation of the security modules/programs/code.

Personal preference/opinion - Windows-NT is a more stable and robust application server than Netware, has a lower learning curve for users already familiar with Windows and I think there are more Windows-NT skills on the market than Novell.

regards,
Billy
***
Disclaimer:
This e-mail does not necessarily reflects the opinions and policies of Johnny <he's the other guy in my head>.